Click here to view online with images.

You might think you need the luck of the Irish to buy or sell your home. But what you really could use is the help of an expert real estate professional like me. Let’s work together to make your homeownership goals and dreams come true. I hope you enjoy this month’s advice, which includes how to make a small home inviting.

Homeseller Advice

Make Your Small Home Inviting

Downsizing or buying a small first home may make you feel squeezed, but follow these tips, and you’ll soon appreciate what a treasure your petite new home is:

Go for quality. A smaller home in a sought-after neighborhood that’s closer to the jobs, schools, and amenities you need is better than a long commute for a more spacious home. Instead, choose fine furniture and accessories that make a statement about who you are.

Minimize clutter. Nothing makes a space feel cramped like overcrowding. If you’re sidestepping furniture, sports equipment or clothes on the floor, it’s time to declutter.

Be clever. Decorating a small space can be a lot of fun if you think in terms of furniture doing double duty. Ottomans can triple up as a footrest, coffee table or extra seating. Nesting tables can provide extra tabletop space when needed and store compactly.

Let the light in. Bright spaces look larger than dark spaces. Light cheerful colors on walls and in your décor can expand any room. Reduce the need for bulky lamps and tables by installing sconces and recessed lighting.

The trick is having what you want but recognizing that there’s no need for extras or excess.

Homeowner Advice

Do You Need Flood Insurance?

Homeowner’s insurance covers most losses due to storms, hail, pipe freezing, and the weight of snow or sleet, according to, but it won’t cover water damage due to these events, advises It also won’t cover flooding due to leaking appliances, clogged sinks, broken toilets, etc.

So why isn’t water damage from catastrophic events like flooding, earthquakes and hurricanes included? “Adverse Selection” is an industry term that simply means that the insurer can’t collect enough in premiums to cover the risk. Some insurers offer private flood insurance to high-end homeowners in limited groups, or they may offer limited coverage to policyholders that are part of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a federal program designed to help homeowners with coverage for up to $250,000 for the structure of the home and up to $100,000 for personal possessions.

Most homeowners don’t need flood insurance, but to be certain, double check with your insurer what water damage is covered by your policy and if you need additional insurance.

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices CNY Realty
Tamrah Pedrotti
Real Estate Salesperson
C: 315.506.0450 / Ofc: 315.218.7171

Visit me on FacebookVisit me on TwitterVisit me on LinkedInVisit me on InstagramVisit me on Pinterest

5099 W. Genesee St. Camillus, NY 13031

©2020 BHH Affiliates, LLC. Real Estate Brokerage Services are offered through the network member franchisees of BHH Affiliates, LLC. Most franchisees are independently owned and operated. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices and the Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices symbol are registered service marks of Columbia Insurance Company, a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate. Information not verified or guaranteed. If your property is currently listed with a Broker, this is not intended as a solicitation. Equal Housing Opportunity.